Office Hours: Monday - Friday 9:00 AM - 5:00 PM
Recording Hours: Monday - Friday 9:30 AM - 4:30 PM
Telephone: (716) 439-7022
Fax: (716) 439-7035
- Deed An original deed form must be completed, signed and notarized. You may wish to consult your attorney for assistance. Blank deed forms can be purchased at many stationery or office supply stores. The deed should have a legal description of the property. All names and addresses must be filled in on the document. Please note that all acknowledgments require Uniform Certificate of Acknowledgment. This acknowledgement has been in effect since 1999.
- TP-584 (Combined Real Estate Transfer Tax Return, Credit Line Mortgage Certificate, and Certification of Exemption from the Payment of Estimated Personal Income Tax).
A TP-584 form must accompany the deed and be completed and signed by both parties. The form is available at http://www.tax.ny.gov/pdf/current_forms/property/tp584_fill_in.pdf. Instructions for this form are available at http://www.tax.ny.gov/pdf/current_forms/property/tp584i.pdf. This form may be completed online and should be printed on size 8 ½ x 11 paper.
- RP-5217 (Real Property Transfer Report).
This form must accompany the deed and be completed and signed by both parties. The form along with instructions can be downloaded at: http://www.tax.ny.gov/research/property/assess/rp5217/index.htm. The Clerk's Office will only accept RP-5217 forms that have been downloaded and completed online. The form must be printed on size 8 ½ by 14 paper after completion.
- Fees The following fees apply to these transactions:
- Transfer Tax: The seller is responsible for payment of the Transfer Tax. The rate is $4.00 per thousand dollars of consideration.
- Recording Fee: $36.00 for a deed consisting of one side of one sheet of paper. $3.00 for each additional printed page or portion thereof.
- TP-584: The seller is responsible for payment of the $5.00 filing fee.
- RP-5217: Filing Fee of $125.00 if the following boxes are checked: 7A, 7B, 7E, or both 7G and 8, or if the property classification code (Item 18) is 100-299 or 411C.
Filing fee is $250.00 for all others.
- We accept payment in the form of cash, personal checks (up to $500.00), and money orders. Make checks & money orders payable to: Niagara County Clerk. We also accept Master Card and Discover. There is a convenience fee of 2.5% of the amount charged plus a .50 transaction fee assessed when using a credit card.
- The original deed will be recorded in our office upon receipt. Please provide a postage paid self-addressed stamped envelope for the document to be mailed back to you in approximately 12-14 weeks.
- We cannot dispense legal advice or recommend attorneys. The act of the County Clerk recording a deed is a ministerial act that is required under the law. Recording does not determine title, but simply records the deed that is affecting the property in question.